GOVERNMENT has fired 77 doctors who have been on strike for two month, Information Minister Monica Mutsvangwa announced Tuesday.\n\nMutsvangwa told a post-Cabinet media briefing in Harare that the doctors had been found guilty after disciplinary hearings.\n\n"Cabinet recieved a report from the Minister of Health (Obadiah Moyo) relating to the strike by doctors which has gone beyond 63 days. So far 77 doctors have been found guilty and discharged after disciplinary hearings," said Mutsvangwa.\n\nIn early September doctors under the banner of the Zimbabwe Hospital Doctors Association (ZHDA) mainly made up of junior medical practitioners announced they were downing tools.\n\nThe doctors have been demanding a review of their salaries pegged at the currency interbank rate. Government argues this is unsustainable.\n\nThe situation took a nasty turn in October after ZHDA leader Peter Magombeyi was allegedly abducted and kept in communicado for five days. The strike was joined by all other medical personnel including senior doctors, nurses and other support staff.\n\nMagombeyi was later found dumped just outside Harare but the strike continued. Senior doctors have since joined. The doctors ignored warnings from government forcing the Ministry of Health to approach the Labour Court which ruled the strike illegal in mid-October.\n\nStill the striking doctors stuck to their guns and rejected a government offer of 100% salary and allowances increase.\n\nGovernment then announced it would discipline all striking doctors but the ZHDA said its members remained incapacitated and could not attend the hearing.\n\nIt appears however that some of the doctors attended resulting in the dismissals.